With the ongoing international health crisis, humanity has been forced to refocus, reassess, adapt and overcome – it sounds like a cliché, but it is the truth. Social and travel restrictions meant a new approach to everyday life, including work, family time, or travel, which in turn contributed to the growing popularity of motorhomes, cottages and other types of transport.

As noted above, the end of the year marks an onslaught of listicles. It’s different because, to celebrate today’s trendy little houses, we go all the way back to the early 1920s. That’s when the OG mini house was crisscrossing the roads of the good US of A, camping. -car in Douglas fir wood.

As the name suggests, it was a camper van made entirely from Douglas fir. As in, it was a single Douglas fir that had been hollowed out and then transformed into a mobile home. Built for married couple EA Wade of Aberdeen, Wash., The log RV sat on a 1920 3-ton Dodge Brothers chassis and provided all the comforts of home, but on the road.

The Monster Motorhome was completed in 1926 and embarked on great adventures in October of the same year. To build it, a 434-year-old Douglas-fir was cut down; it was 9.4 feet (286.5 cm) in diameter and 311 feet (9,479 cm) high. The wood from the entire tree could have been used to build four 6-room houses, and the 8-by-16 (244 by 488 cm) section used for the camper van took a whole three-man crew five weeks. just to dig.

The process started by drilling a 2 inch (5cm) hole all over. The hole was then burnt to 4 feet (122 cm) in diameter and then finished with an electric jigsaw. The furniture inside was also made of wood, the interior having a sleeping area, a kitchen and a dining area. It wasn’t exactly a life of luxury by today’s standards, but it had to be back then. “A complete little house in a log of Douglas fir,” was how the 1926 advertising brochure described it.

No word on how long the Wades have used it, nor on the success of their road adventures. The motorhome, or whatever looks like it, is believed to be on display at the Redwood Museum in Northern California now.